Wednesday, July 5, 2006

A week in Pen's world!

W O W!! Has life gotten crazy or what? With the beautiful weather, company, work and work related events the hands of time have been going double time!

Fishing and Friends
We had a friend from Kamloops come up for a week fishing the Kitimat. They fared not to badly catching quite a few fish, kept 3 and released the rest. Ken went home with some very nice salmon fillets. I wish they would have kept more of the fish they caught but they had to put up with them in the boat, lol.

Here's a few pics of Hal and Ken
















Ken flew back to Kamloops Friday night to spend the July long weekend with his wife and young son. It was so wonderful to see him again, he truly is a wonderful friend.

G'psgolox Totem Pole
Friday night Pauline and I headed to Kitamaat Village for part of the G'psgolox Totem repatriation celebration and feast. The celebration was a multi-day event. Here is a link to an article for further information: http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/07/01/haisla-totem.html also if you Google the G'psgolox Totem you will find many articles and stories on the theft and return of the totem.

I will not pretend to know how significant this must be to our Haisla people but would like to say "Thank You!" for allowing us to share in this historical event. The intensity of the spiritual and emotional energy was amazing. To hear the story of the return and what it means was touching. I was amazed at how many other communities came to join in the celebration with their masks, dress and dance. What a sight to behold and one that will stay fresh in my mind for many years to come. My one regret is not going back on Saturday for more of the celebration.

It was with great honour that I met Chief Dan Paul on Tuesday afternoon when the G'psgolox Totem Pole was delivered to its temporary home at City Centre Mall where it will reside until it's permanent home is ready in the Kitamaat Village. We are very privileged to be able to accomodate this amazing artifact.

Happy Canada Day eh!
Pauline and I went into the Canada Day parade on Saturday as representation for our Mall. There wasn't a lot of preparation time but we pulled it off and next year plan on having an actual float with Santa, the Easter Bunny, Kitimat Idols and Kit the Fox on it. It was a lot of fun though watching the kids get excited when they saw Kit, they wanted hugs and to talk to him, lol.

As always the food is simply amazing! Nancy and I walked back to the house loaded down with Samosas and BBQ pork. Ate a quick meal, drank a gallon of water and headed back down to the festivities. We met up with Ms. Kali, her Daddy Doug and Aunty Roy and chatted with them a bit while watching Kitimat Idol and Junior Idol sing. Jennifer and Katherine were terrific!

Here are a few pictures of Kit in the Parade:





For the life of me I can't remember what the heck we did Sunday but I know Monday was a relaxation day and Uncle Zero and I got to hang with Ms. Kali Joy. Here's the kind of day we had when we weren't playing with Ms. K.



4 comments:

Sharijoy said...

Awesome post penny..welcome back we missed you. Wish I was at the parade eating pork sticks and hanging with ya'alls....... somebody had to work!!!

Jenny said...

Oh I totally love the pic of Uncle Zero and Miss K sleeping!!! That is so cute...I've missed you!!!

the therapeutic writer said...

I wore that Kit the Fox costume once!

Awww to the Uncle Zero+Ms K photos. toooo sweet.

I've been following the repatriation story for about 2 years. Fascinating. sorry I missed it.

Tanya said...

Great pics Penny. Nice to see that you had a fun...and relaxing weekend, take care.