Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day Dad!

I miss my Dad like crazy and he will always have such a special place in my heart. One of the things I miss the most is the phone calls and knowing he was really listening. He heard the things I didn't say and would never tell me what to do but instead would be a sounding board and so often just talking with him would help solve whatever was going on in my life.

One of my fondest memories is of Dad and I dancing on Graduation night..Father's and Daughters dance. The smile on his face looked like it would permanently be stuck there and even though at the time I felt slightly embarrassed I now know it was pride and unwavering love for this daughter he'd seen through so much in her life and knew he was on the doorstep of setting her free to start on her own journey.

Thank you Dad, I love you and in my dreams we still dance.

DANCE WITH MY FATHER
Artist: Luther Vandross

Back when I was a child, before life removed all the innocence
My father would lift me high and dance with my mother and me and then
Spin me around 'til I fell asleep
Then up the stairs he would carry me
And I knew for sure I was loved
If I could get another chance, another walk, another dance with him
I'd play a song that would never, ever end
How I'd love, love, love
To dance with my father again
When I and my mother would disagree
To get my way, I would run from her to him
He'd make me laugh just to comfort me
Then finally make me do just what my mama said
Later that night when I was asleep
He left a dollar under my sheet


Never dreamed that he would be gone from me
If I could steal one final glance, one final step, one final dance with him
I'd play a song that would never, ever end
'Cause I'd love, love, love
To dance with my father again

2 comments:

Jenny said...

That was beautiful Penny, thanks for sharing!

Sharijoy said...

Penny..... that was soooooooooo beautiful and touching. I'd feel the same way about my dad!! I'm thankful he is still alive but hate the miles between us..... it makes it soooo hard!! Your dad is looking down and still smiling!!